Probably the best little running club in the world...
At Harwich Runners we appreciate that joining a running club can feel a little daunting but we pride ourselves on being able to offer something to every ability level - whether you're trying running for the first time, returning after years off or performing at regional, national or international levels. Our members come from all over the area and from all walks of life to enjoy the friendly atmosphere and varied training that is offered every Tuesday throughout the year.
The club was originally founded in 1982 by British international decathlete Roy Snow to encourage all local residents to become more active. This philosophy continues to this day and now with over 150 members, covering veterans, adults, ladies and juniors, you're sure to find a friendly group of similar ability people that will encourage you with your desired goal.
We meet every Tuesday at 7:45pm upstairs at the Harwich & Dovercourt Rugby Club near the swimming pool. Our sessions are taken by a group of our members who have become qualified coaches and overseen by our club coach Steve Cooper. If this time doesn't suit or you'd rather test the water first an earlier group takes place at 6:30pm that caters fully for those that are perhaps at the run/walk stage or indeed competent runners who find the time more convenient.
Not old enough yet - find out more about the Saturday Junior sessions
Interested in joining?
Feel free to come along on any Tuesday for a trial, you won't be pressured to join and you are more than welcome to come two or three times before making up your mind. When you are sure this is what you can expect to pay for your annual membership...
- Senior (includes Association of Running Clubs licence) £20
- Licence fee for England Athletics Association licence £12
- Junior (Saturday only, includes ARC licence) £5
- Junior (14-18 years Saturday & Tuesday, includes ARC licence) £9
Remember that's it; no weekly subs, a free tea or coffee back at the club house afterwards and plenty of other benefits
What are the benefits of membership?Although there is a great social aspect to training together there are also other benefits to being a member...
- All members are affiliated to ARC so you can enter any ARC race as an affiliated runner.
- Reduced race entry cost - being a member of an affiliated running club will usually mean that you pay £2 per race less than runners who are unattached to a running club. That means you only have to enter 10 races a year & membership to Harwich Runners will have paid for itself.
- New members have the chance of winning a dedicated award, Best New Member.
- Harwich Runners are affiliated to British Triathlon, so members can obtain their race licence at a reduced rate
- Discount at sports shops - on production of your membership card you can usually claim around 10% discount sometimes more.
Senior membership can now be renewed / applied for online so click here to join Harwich Runners.
We're so proud of our club that we have a range of branded apparel that identifies us as Harwich Runners, don't worry this isn't compulsory unless you're racing. You can view or request items ONLINE (members only).
Although Harwich Runners is quite informal we do have a Committee to ensure the club meets all the members needs. Your Committee can be viewed and contacted (members only) via the forum.
Investing in the future - Chip Timing
Harwich Runners over the last few years has invested in a chip timing system. Information on the system and hiring it can be found on the Chip timing results service page.
Please email me with any questions about the club