The object of this award is give more members the chance to win an award and attend six specific races during the year and compete against other club members of a broadly similar ability.
Those who do not renew their membership will be removed from the league. New members will be slotted into the league depending on their perceived ability. This will be decided by the committee. Nominally, Peter Clarke / Peter Gooding.
- The Challenge Championship will be made up of 5 separated divisions. Initially on perceived ability, but over the course of time running performance may become secondary to commitment and willingness to participate in the annual challenge. These leagues will be known as, The Premiership, and Divisions 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- The Running Club committee will select 6 races each season to qualify for the challenge. These will be at different venues and over different distances and at different times through the year. The six races will consist of, a Harwich 5k race, the Harwich Runners Summer Handicap, a 5 mile, 10K, 10 mile and a half marathon. This is to allow the greatest possible opportunity for members to race, taking into account the fact that members may be injured or have other commitments during the season.
- Points will be awarded for each race. The nominal maximum score will be 60 for each race. The winner or each challenge race will receive 60 points the remainder will receive points on a pro-rata basis depending on their performance. Each race will be weighted so as not to favour one particular method of scoring. The committee will determine the point's allocation and the scoring will be administered by Dennis Warner.
- Of the six races selected each season, 2 will be on handicap, 2 age related and 2 using the club standard system. The committee will decide which races have which method of scoring.
- At the end of the challenge the members who accumulate the greatest number of points will be positioned within their league accordingly.
- The top three in each division at the end of the season will be promoted (with the exception of the Premiership), replacing the bottom three in the next lower division.
- In the event of tie (or more that 3 members failing to score any points) then more that 3 may be moved to a lower league.
- The same number of people moved down will be replaced with those going up. This will ensure that each division retains roughly the same number of participants each year.
For instance last season 9 members in division 2 failed to score any points. All 9 will be moved down with the top 9 in division 3 being promoted. Eventually, those who have no interest in the challenge will migrate to the lowest division.
Races run on Club Standards scoring system:
- Gold Class 1 60pts
- Gold Class 2 53pts
- Gold Class 3 47pts
- Silver Class 1 40pts
- Silver Class 2 33pts
- Silver Class 3 27pts
- Bronze Class 1 20pts
- Bronze Class 2 13pts
- Bronze Class 3 7pts
- Unclassified 3pts
First age related runner 60 pts (remainder pro-rata) For instance if 30 people participate the points would be reduced by 2 for the rest. Eg: 2nd 58pts; 3rd 56tps; etc
First runner again 60 pts with the remainder pro-rata. Same system as above. In this case if only 20 people raced there would be a difference of 3 points per race place.
The exact number of points will be rounded up. This will be dependant upon the number of people taking part in each race.
Dennis Warner will be responsible for the calculations. The committee will have the final say in the event of a dispute.
The top three in each of the five leagues will receive an award at the end of the year. This award will be reviewed annually by the committee. It will be decided:
- If any rules need changing or amending.
- If this award continue into the next year.
- The Championship races for the next year, (if the Championship continues).
- The structure of the divisions for the next year. (Who is in each division).
- Club members are welcome to submit suggested changes during the year, in writing, to any of the clubs awards. These will be considered at this meeting. In future the committee will decide on any rule changes, based on member's feedback and the effectiveness of the current rules.
|09-04-17||Bromley 10k||website||10k||Little Bromley Church||10:30|
|07-07-17||Gt Bentley Friday 5||website||5 miles||Great Bentley Village Hall||19:30|
|11-07-17||Harwich 5k Series 4||website||5k||Harwich Rugby Club||20:00|
|08-10-17||Tiptree 10||website||10 miles||Thurstable School||10:30|