#1 26-06-2009 18:39:09

Dennis Warner
Committee member
Website

Team Relay Triathlons - Update

Sunday 12th July - Gosfield Lake -Nr. Halstead - Eastern Region Club Relay Championships

I have entered everyone and paid for them. All the info for each team comes to me.
The Running Club is going to subsidise the cost. Each person will have to pay £20.
All anyone has to do is pay the £20 and turn up, I will handle everything else. It is easier this way than have 6 different team captains and 6 people to coordinate with.

Make your cheques payable to 'Harwich Running Club' and give them to Dawn or Diane or myself if Dawn is not around. If you give them directly to Dawn let me know so I can account for who has paid.

Just because I am doing all the admin. don't forget to read the race notes which can be found on the Born2tri website.

Registration is between 06:00 and 07:30. Racing will start around 08:00. This will be a bit of a shock for our supporters if they are not used to triathlon start times.

The teams are as follows:
Graeme Knott; Kate Hodgkiss; Dennis Warner- Mixed Open
Paul Kerrison; Trudy Cullen; Kate Thomas - Mixed Open
Neil Watts; Mark Rutter; Ashley Thomas- Male Open
Katie Higgon; Dale Housler; Anna Anderson - Female Open
Tim Warner; Jeff Higgon; Paul McClelland - Male Vet
Carla Holroyd; Elspeth Knott; Jo Higgon - Female Vet

The first wave of swimmers can be a little tough. I will leave it up to each team to select the race order, but take into account the fact that any swimming in the first wave will have to be confident or be as fast as Katie Higgon to escape the mayhem at the start. When I did the nationals at Nottingham last year I described it as like swimming in a washing machine. Neil who was in the second wave said it wasn't much better.

Last edited by Dennis Warner (26-06-2009 21:17:22)

#2 26-06-2009 22:57:31

Anna Anderson
Harwich Runner

Re: Team Relay Triathlons - Update

Hi Dennis,  Thanks for all this info.  I shall look at Born2tri for the race notes and am really looking forward to it.  Have been out for 2 runs since the Tri and my ankle seems fixed so am looking forward to getting back into my running.

Are you doing any more sea swims and if so when??

Cheers

Anna

#3 30-06-2009 13:35:48

Dennis Warner
Committee member
Website

I have had to provide a list of teams in race order so I have decided the race order for everyone. In doing so I have tried to put a strong / confident swimmer first and a fast runner last. The teams will now be:

Dennis Warner;  Kate Hodgkiss;;Graeme Knott; - Mixed Open
Paul Kerrison; Trudy Cullen; Kate Thomas - Mixed Open
Neil Watts; Ashley Thomas; Mark Rutter;- Male Open
Katie Higgon; Anna Anderson; Dale Housler;  - Female Open
Jeff Higgon; Tim Warner; Paul McClelland - Male Vet
Jo Higgon; Carla Holroyd; Elspeth Knott; - Female Vet

Hat colours will determine which wave you swim in. The order will be red, white then blue

#4 30-06-2009 18:29:19

Claire Bransby
Harwich Runner

Don't be a drama queen Neil!!

#5 01-07-2009 08:40:22

Dennis Warner
Committee member
Website

Hi Katie:  With your swimming ability you will be long gone before the bun-fight starts

#6 05-07-2009 21:15:30

Jo Higgon
Harwich Runner

Katie and I are going to Gosfield Lake on Tuesday at 6pm if anyone wants to join us?  - ps we hope to do the running too if we survive!!

#7 05-07-2009 21:49:26

Carla Holroyd
Harwich Runner

I would quite like to do the swim on Tuesday as long as I get home from work in time to walk dogs etc etc I should be able to get to Gosfield by 6 pm.  Is that one of their organised sessions?

#8 06-07-2009 14:17:00

Jo Higgon
Harwich Runner

Yes it is - we just have to fill in a disclaimer form so that they are not responsible if we drown - I think smile  I just need to make sure that I can actually swim in open water - I am used to following a black line on the bottom smile

#9 09-07-2009 10:17:29

Mark Rutter
Harwich Runner

I'll probably be driving to Halstead on Sunday if anybody wants a lift - can do 4 people in total + bikes (at a push) - or if anyone else is driving up has a spare place, wouldn't mind a lift.

#10 09-07-2009 11:57:24

Tim Warner
Harwich Runner

At the moment, I think I am driving up in an otherwise empty car. Can probably do 3 bikes/people, more if I can find my bike carrier. I can easily pick you up Mark.

#11 10-07-2009 09:09:08

Mark Rutter
Harwich Runner

ok, thanks Tim. From the start time, looks like we have to leave some time in the middle of the night.  Would bus stop at end of Maize lane (Ramsey road end) be convenient to pick me up, if so what ungodly time?  (I think Paul Mc wants a lift too).

#12 10-07-2009 10:52:40

Paul McClelland

I'd like a lift if poss. Pls let me know time & place, thks

#13 10-07-2009 12:17:47

Miranda Rayner
Harwich Runner

Sorry I will not be able to be there on Sunday but the very best of luck to everyone.
Go Harwich!

#14 11-07-2009 10:08:04

Tim Warner
Harwich Runner

okay, Mark and Paul, I'll pick you both up. I guess at least one of us (me) will have to register a team, which has to be done before 6.30. It's going to take about an hour to get there so I will have to leave home at about 5.15.

It may be better if I pick your bikes up tonight so save too much faffing early Sunday morning. The problem is I am going to a swimming gala tonight so may not be around to collect bikes until 9.30-10.00. Is this okay?

Feel free to phone me on 07831 628 941 to confirm all details.

#15 12-07-2009 17:30:48

Peter Gooding
Committee member

I have added some snapshots from today to the Galley.
Well done every one.

#16 12-07-2009 20:12:59

Paul Kerrison
Harwich Runner

Thanks for the pic's Peter  hmm lol An enjoyable day! Thanks Dennis

Last edited by Paul Kerrison (12-07-2009 20:13:18)

#17 15-07-2009 13:09:40

Peter Gooding
Committee member

Message received from Anna A

Not sure if you will get this before club tonight but just wanted share and to say a few thanks and happy for you to read out the message.
As you know I passed out on the course on Sunday doing the Triathlon at Gosford Lake, I have been feeling unwell since and a bite I picked up on Sunday ( while waiting for Karla I will blame it all on her she was borrowing my flip flops and I will let her explain smile ) on my ankle has swollen to the size of a grapefruit.
Dr thinks that I have had a severe allergic reaction to whatever bit me (a small tic like creature) and has been put onto a major course of antibiotics or that I have been bitten by a deer tick (cannot be sure without capturing the little blighter!!!! ) and these carry Lyme Disease which is the most common tick-borne disease and is transmitted to humans by the bite of infected ticks. Early symptoms may include fever, headache, fatigue, depression, and a characteristic circular skin rash. In most cases, the infection and its symptoms are eliminated by antibiotics, especially if the illness is treated early. Late, delayed, or inadequate treatment can lead to the more serious symptoms, which can be disabling and difficult to treat. Anyway the symptoms fit with my aliments so I am being treated for this just in case.
So anyway just wanted to make sure anyone else that might have been bitten and suffering should get it checked out NOW don't delay it can be really nasty if not caught early.
I was devastated to cause our team with Dale, Kate Higgins and I to retire and although told not to did beat myself up about it until I realised how stupid it would have been for me to carry on with the run. The three Kate's, Dale and everyone else that fussed over me where brilliant and in fact the whole spirit of the teams there was great. Everyone pulls together and that's what I love so much about the club.
So a universal thanks to one and all for your support. Have a great train tonight and see you next week ( hopefully fit and well).
Cheers all
Anna

#18 15-07-2009 17:53:09

Tim Warner
Harwich Runner

Thanks for the pictures Peter. You have captured and image I have long thought impossible: a picture of me running that looked as if I was running! Admittedly, I was pushing my bike at the time, but it still counts.

#19 15-07-2009 21:45:32

Peter Gooding
Committee member

Would you like a copy of the photo, you could one day show your grandchildren what you was once able to do smile

Last edited by Peter Gooding (15-07-2009 21:47:40)

#20 15-07-2009 22:03:23

Carla Holroyd
Harwich Runner

Your photos of the triathlon were really good Peter and you even managed to make me relatively wrinkle free.  The key is definitely not to get too close!!  Looking forward to 5k tomorrow but unlikely I will have recovered from hilly 28 I have just done!

Board footer