Paul Kerrison
Harwich Runner

Re: Sea Swimming Practice at Dovercourt Promenade

Sea swim today (Mon). Meet at slope 14:00. smile

#77 07-09-2009 19:16:00

Paul Kerrison
Harwich Runner

Sea swim tomorrow (tue). Meet at slope 14:00.

#78 13-11-2009 08:55:14

Dennis Warner
Committee member
Website

Don't seem to be much sea swimming done since I left for Africa. Going for swim in Lake Tanganika this afternoon. Hope the winter swim sessions are going strong this year Paul & Mark smile

#79 13-11-2009 14:36:20

Mark Rutter
Harwich Runner

Hi Den, glad to read you got out of Burundi in piece with nothing more serious than a large hole in your bank balance. Donít think youíve managed to sell it as a holiday destination.

Yep still sea swimming.  Down to the hardcore 2 now (or the insane as some might call us).  I did about a dozen swims in October but only one this month so far.  It's getting pretty cold already - about 12 degrees at present. Takes a couple of minutes to catch your breath, and as you know, it's hard work trying to swim when you're so cold. Iím swimming without gloves or socks, although I do have the luxury of a loan of Paul k's under hood. Meanwhile heís wrapped up like a baby with his thermal under-suit, water-proof gloves and socks, and a heavy-duty hood Ė not sure this counts as real manís winter swimming.

Went out in some extremely rough seas a few weeks ago, great fun but in danger of being tossed into the metal poles at the end of the groins. We were both knocked over and dragged under twice in rapid succession when trying to get out, and such was the force of the waves, Paul had his goggles knocked off never to be seen again (the goggles that is). Donít reckon the coast guard would have been too pleased, and would have probably refused us permission to swim.

Hoping to get out tomorrow but with gale force winds forecast might be a change of plan (what do you reckon PK?).  Not too sure if Iíll be swimming in December when itís around 4 Ė 6 degrees unless I can get hold of a decent hood, gloves and socks. 

Hope youíre enjoying the swimming in Lake Tanganyika Ė probably bit warmer than the sea in Dovercourt at the moment, although the crocodile risk is a bit higher I imagine.

Board footer