#1 17-01-2009 20:51:26

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Ipswich XC

Looks like Gary and Neil's rain dancing has worked over the last couple of days-this one looks like it's going to be a bit squidgier than Hadleigh sad Oh well, it's not the same without a bit of mud, I suppose!

Anyway-onto the most important bit for tomorrow: muesli flapjacks and chocolate brownies all baked ready big_smile

See you there!

#2 18-01-2009 17:21:03

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Re: Ipswich XC

Well I think that one gets the prize for longest course-I clocked it as being 5.71 on the Garmin. Nice scenic course though, with the ploughed field crossing and the headwind adding to the challenge!
Remind me not to chat to Bob at club about how I seemed to have conquered my stitch problem in future, though tongue That one came back to bite me on the backside today sad

Oh well, nevermind-we're now in 3rd place in the Pool A big_smile big_smile big_smile

And big congrats to Matthew btw, on achieving his goal of cracking the top ten-fantastic!! smile

#3 18-01-2009 22:49:38

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Yep - totally agree with you Becky - it was long (I had it at about 5.73 on my Garmin). Have to admit to being bitterly disappointed with my performance today - 94th seems a big step back when Peter C ran so well to finish in the 50s. I just didn't seem to have anything in the legs at all and spent most of the race seeing people coming past me...as well as watching you, Ian C and Peter C disappearing further and further into the distance. I actually thought it would suit me today being muddy and was looking forward to it...but at lap 2 was merely wishing for it to end - which is not my usual response to XCs (Abbey Fields excepted). I guess with this increase in training for London I'm going to have to schedule a rest day before a race. Last night went out and did 4 miles in the rain at 23:00...clearly not a good idea in retrospect.

I think I'll be better now I know the course...but PLEASE I hope they lose the weird finish section. Not being able to see the finish was a real downer and it was actually pretty dodgy through that final last 300m having to avoid oncoming traffic. I've emailed Jaffa to congratulate them on organising the race but suggested they review this finish. Would have been much nicer to finish where we started...with the Junior race then started slightly further along the same stretch of road. Just my opinion.

Anyway...on positive notes. Well done to Matthew on achieving his top 10 (sorry for hugging you at the finish Matt smile) - utterly brilliant. Great also to see Andrew 'Wolfy' Woolfe turning out in his vest after all these years of recovery from his awful 'Cross the Bay' broken ankle. A great result today Andy. Hope to see more of you. And well done everyone to put us in 3rd place in Pool A!!!  Ahead of Springfield in the 53-12 XCs! That is amazing, truly amazing...

See you Tuesday!

#4 18-01-2009 22:54:27

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Oh...and by the way. Emily says that she's going to stop cheering for Harwich as she missed out on the chocolate brownies AGAIN 'cos she went off and ran the junior race today. when she got back to the hall the cupboard was bare. I had to break the habit of a lifetime and go to bl**dy Tescopoly in Manningtree and buy some chocolate muffins to feed her desire - thanks to Sarah B for mentioning that particular solution wink

#5 18-01-2009 23:03:15

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Oh bugger!! sad Sorry-I forgot to reserve one for her (keep forgetting they do the junior race after the grown ups now). Will definitely save her one next time-promise!! She's one of the best bellowers we have...

#6 19-01-2009 10:52:48

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

No worries Becky...I told her to stop being so presumptious! I also suggested that if she ran faster in the Junior race she might get back to the hall and not miss out lol I'm not sure that particular point was so well received.

Anyway...what did other people think about the race yesterday? Likes/Dislikes? Neil looked like he had a great run and Sam did really well considering he wasn't well earlier in the week. Also Kate H looked really comfortable at the finish.

#7 19-01-2009 14:00:06

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Photos now up on the Jaffa website yikes Would love to know who managed to splash mud so high it actually got Matthew on the forehead lol And is that our chairman we spotted with both feet off the ground in one of the shots? Was he having a cheeky little go on the course??

#8 19-01-2009 14:42:01

Sarah Bond

Well I was just pleased to have completed my third cross country of the season....getting round is my aim and mission accomplished. I agree finish a bit dodgy especially by the time us chuggers come along as lane was filled with people walking back to the hall so had to do a bit of weaving round those too deaf to here my puffing/panting/moaning/groaning to the finish, other than that I thought it was a good course, just squidgy enough for my liking (I'm sure Graeme would have hated it!!!).
Thanks to Emily whose cheering and great big smile got me off to a great start to the second lap. I had spent last half of first lap battling back and fourth with girl from Hadleigh, lost her shortly after starting the second after a HR cheerleading boost.

Gary - Sorry for mentining the T word roll didn't realise you were anti supermarket giants.....prob shouldn't have mention for Em to throw a tantrum if she didn't get cake on way home either!!!! Ooops x

Well done to all involved, HR third in Pool A, aren't we just the bestest little running club ever!

#9 19-01-2009 16:52:01

Miranda Rayner
Harwich Runner

I was disappointed to have to miss yesterday, sounds like a good course.

Well done to everyone, great result and very satisfying to be above Springfield.

See you all at Hylands Park!

#10 26-01-2009 22:05:11

Peter Gooding
Committee member

I have added some photo's from the Ipswich XC to the gallery. I know some of you have already seen them, but others haven't.

#11 15-02-2009 16:35:11

Anna Anderson
Harwich Runner

Well I just loved today.  Hurling myself into freezing water and sloshing around in the mud.  As sad as I am I LOVED IT:)

Thanks for the usual encouragement and shouts and woops to the finish line.  I had a great day and am really sad that's the last one this season.  Bring on the next.

#12 15-02-2009 16:56:59

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

I know what you mean, Anna! My xc running is never going to set the world alight (my legs and lungs seem to prefer tarmac every time!), but I enjoy giving it a bash. Hell, I even enjoyed the whizzy trail bit through the woods (except when it was rudely interrupted with more sodding ditches sad ). The gunfire was a bit worrying, though hmm

Fantastic support as ever today-thank you to all, it was much needed! smile Great turnout from the club both on the running and spectating sides. Just glad that Jason remembered his xc shoes this time (and put his own kit on-he would've completely buggered my tights if he'd worn those to leap the ditches today lol )...

Anyway-hope Graeme and Kate's househunting is successful soon, so Graeme can come down and give us a masterclass in mountain goating! Gary tried his best with me today (bless him!), even gamely letting me go first on one ditch in the hope that I would catch the lady in front. Unfortunately, I am a complete ponce when it comes to ditch jumping and she isn't, so she stayed ahead sad Thanks anyway, Gary!

#13 16-02-2009 12:12:09

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sad another XC season's over - but at least it finished on a high note. I loved yesterday's course...felt like a return to 'real' XC after the relative serenity of the course at Martlesham. Nah...starting in cold puddles, piling up and down slopes in deep mud, jumping ditches trying to avoid a) getting soaked or b) breaking something, tripping over tree stumps, laughing when ditch number 14 appears, ducking when the sound of gunfire resonates in the woods and then sprinting for the finish with Graeme's words 'I'd go now Gaz if you don't want to get beat' ringing in my ears and almost falling over as a result at the last....and finally collecting my finish tag knowing that that's it for another year.

Fantastic to see Anna A looking so happy, covered in mud, yet with a broad grin at the end of this one...saying how much she'd enjoyed, yes enjoyed, the ditches. Her comments summed up the unwavering enthusiasm of our team this year for me. I really think the ladies team have been a revelation this season...and certainly ensured we more than held our own in Pool A after our brilliant promotion. Sure...the men have done well but the arrival of Harwich as a force to be reckoned with is mainly, in my view, to our growing strength on the ladies side.

So well done Harwich Runners! You deserve it!

PS A tip for cleaning up. I drove home yesterday and hadn't changed, still covered in mud. Emily said 'Mummy won't let you in the house looking like that' so I drove to the local car wash, got out with bare feet, got my shoes out of the back, then washed the car, then hosed myself and my shoes and socks down with the power wash (slightly painful but effective). Emily having hysterics all the while and other car owners looking on with some concern as to my mental state. Got back in car completely soaked...but pretty pristine. Drove off before ambulance to take me away arrived.

Last edited by Gary Donoghue (16-02-2009 12:15:14)

#14 16-02-2009 17:26:05

Sarah Bond

Well done guys, and congrats to all for finishing the season in fourth!

Sounds like I missed a good one....spectating that is, not running big_smile

I hear there are some good photos of the XC but did anyone capture Gary's antics on camera?? Maybe we could get hold of the garages CCTV footage?! Sounds like it would be interesting viewing....possibly enough to get him sectioned  wink

#15 17-02-2009 15:41:57

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Thanks Sarah - I think. I guess in running parlance we should simply call it 'footage' ;-) See you later...

Board footer