#1 03-01-2009 22:30:03

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Hadleigh XC

Good luck all for this one tomorrow- I've had my pinny on today and made cakes big_smile Orange and ginger with marscapone icing, plus lemon yoghurt slices (I might just forgo the running bit... wink). Jason has been like a kid on xmas eve-have had to keep telling him he can't have any until tomorrow, when he's run his socks off...

At the end of the run, just help yourselves from the tins, as apparently some people were standing on ceremony at Halstead and waiting to see me to ask if they could have a piece. Just get stuck in!!

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow for a spot of hillwork :-/

#2 04-01-2009 13:50:42

Dennis Warner
Committee member
Website

Re: Hadleigh XC

Great turn-out from everyone at the club today. It looked like nearly everyone from the club was at Hadleigh today, we must have had one of the biggest teams at the event.
Not got the results yet from Pete but from the conversations I heard (even with dodgy hearing) it seemed that everyone was pleased with their performances.
Well done to Dale and Claire for completing their first XC in difficult conditions. Impressive to witness the Jeff Higgon sprint finish wink (luckily from the sidelines this time).
Going to be close run thing for best XC improver this year. Great cakes tongue

#3 04-01-2009 14:29:07

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

It was a brilliant turn out today-good job other people had their pinnies on yesterday or we wouldn't have enough cake for all :-O

One result we do know is that the chaps were 3rd team and the ladies were 2nd (WOOOO-HOOOO!! smile), making us 3rd team overall and meaning we are now tied with Springfield in Pool A. WELL DONE ALL-the huge turnout must have pushed a few scorers back on the other teams, which is what it's all about...

#4 04-01-2009 14:40:22

Anna Anderson
Harwich Runner

Hi all,  Becky your Lemon cake was the incentive to get me round and it didn't disappoint so a huge thank you. 

I really loved today and know I need to attack a few more hills in training to get better at events like this although I was pleased with my time but think I could have been a lot quicker without the niggle in my Arch that I picked up along route.

Pride completely engulfed me when the results for the teams came in and the Ladies had come 2nd Fantastic.  But most impressive of all is that we have maintained that 3rd position and have the chance now with the next couple of races, good turnout to take 2nd spot yippee.

I must say again a huge thanks to Steve for his pushing me up the hills with his wise words ( which really worked) and to all the supporters with the undoubted encouragement which I always welcome so cheers.

#5 04-01-2009 15:44:06

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

I have a theory that Peter G had strategically deployed the supporters to hover around the hills to ensure there was no slacking up them! wink Mr Cooper on the first one, and the noisy gang on the second one!

As Anna said-a big thank you to all who braved the brass monkey conditions to stand there and cheer us all on-it was much needed and much appreciated smile Not sure who the littley was by the second hill, but she was shouting her little lungs out as I came by on the second lap and it really made me smile (not easy when you're running uphill and blowing out of your backside!!). Thank you big_smile

#6 04-01-2009 15:54:12

Peter Gooding
Committee member

All this talk about cakes, forth race, forth time no cake!!! I think next time some one else can stand in the cold taking the results then rush to the hall to get them handed in on time and I will stand around chatting and maybe get some cake. sad   sad

#7 04-01-2009 16:16:33

Peter Gooding
Committee member

What a wonderful lttle club, only 15 minutes after my last post and there was a knock on my door, there stood Postman Jason with some of Becky's cake :-) How great is that....... blow doing the results, time for coffee and cake. :p   lovely.

Last edited by Peter Gooding (04-01-2009 16:17:29)

#8 05-01-2009 10:05:06

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Great event yesterday. A bit disappointed to fall back into the 70s (no...not running in platforms...more my position) but still had a nice tussle with Peter C on lap 2 until he finally pulled away in the last 1/2 mile - no manner of fast finishing could allow me to catch up. He looked strong...but not as strong as Becky who looked superb when she brushed me aside in the first lap and cruised to a top 6 finish. Very impressive indeedy. I was sorry to see Paul M clearly suffering on the 1st lap - hope he recovers soon.

Steve C was the last person I'd expected to see at the top of the first hill but there he was shouting encouragement...so thanks for that Mr Cooper - it certainly helped me concentrate - although why I why do I get the Halstead guy with the iron lung every time. I'm going to have to improve just to shake him off.

I agree that the support around the course was great and Becky, I think the littley was Emily, my daughter and fellow HR who was probably encouraging you in a bid to obtain more cake! Unfortunately she missed most of it 'cos she then had to run the junior race at 11:30.

Still - another great turn-out and performance from the HR team...2nd ladies team and 3rd overall. Who'd have thought that a few years back. Amazing to think we are competing with the likes of big clubs like Jaffa, Harriers and Springfield for such honours.

Well done everyone and roll on Ipswich!

#9 05-01-2009 10:54:04

Sarah Bond

Well this was my first visit to Hadleigh and although the hills were horrendous the supporters got me up and down! (Big thanks to Steve C getting me up that first big nasty hill x 2, I knew I couldn't slow with him watching for fear of getting shouted at! And the girlies at the top of what looked like the teletubby house were in fine cheering form!)

It's so good to see the club out on mass, we really do put some of the bigger clubs to shame. We have the best supporters and seemingly the most runners. Looking at the photos afterwards the balck and white vests were everywhere!!!

The boys put in there usual solid performance to get third but I'm so proud of our top girls, I know Becky was chuffed with her finish position, we can all be very proud of a ladies second. As I keep telling PG us ladies are taking over the club.....be warned!!

So we've had Harwich mud and Hadleigh hills, what should I expect at Ipswich??!!!

#10 05-01-2009 11:56:57

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

BTW...the course length came out at 5.3 miles (I think the longest XC so far this season). The dog-leg through the crop field was probably un-necessary and can only think that Hadleigh Hares put it in there thinking it might be muddy and thus add to the challenge. Personally I think 2 big hills, 2 little ones and a 2 seriously precipitous descents are sufficiently taxing.

As for Ipswich...Sarah I wish I could tell you...but this year the Jaffa course is brand new at Martlesham Heath. Our previous Ipswich XC used to be at Landseer Park and it was one of the less challenging courses of the set - some ups/some downs, a bit of mud work, a wooded section. So it will be interesting to see what Jaffa have arranged.

If I can find out some details then I'll post them here.

Cheers and well done for completing another arduous course. Only 2 more to go!

Gaz x

#11 05-01-2009 12:04:09

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Hi Sarah

Just been to the Ipswich Jaffa website and the following link provides the information about the new course. On the face of it I'd say it looks pretty flat...but would need to check my own google maps data to confirm. Anyway...this should help. There's a link on this page marked 'maps' and you can then see an animated view of the course - 2 laps

http://www.ipswichjaffa.org.uk/races/xc/ipswich.php

Cheers

Gaz

#12 05-01-2009 12:09:20

Peter Gooding
Committee member

I have the Ipswich details and hope to have time to send them out tonight. The race is a few hundred yards from where I work. I had a nose around where I thought the race would be and it looked pretty flat, farm fields.

#13 05-01-2009 12:25:56

Graeme
Administrator

looks like Ipswich could be the longest... 5.65m

#14 05-01-2009 21:16:55

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Graeme-we need a blushing emoticon on here, so I could use it to show my embarrassment at not recognising Emily sad
It was hard to recognise some people when they were all wrapped up so much though. I didn't realise it was Steve by that first hill 'til he called out!. Sorry Gary-I will make sure she gets an extra large bit of cake next time wink (hope her race went well, btw).

Oh and all that talk of falling back into the 70's gave me a terrible mental image....

http://www.slade.onlinehome.de/pic/dav2.jpg

yikes

#15 06-01-2009 09:33:03

Graeme
Administrator

blush

done!

#16 06-01-2009 09:44:36

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Tee Hee. Well Emily managed to purloin some chocolate brownies from her auntie (Kate T) so she wasn't disappointed for long - so don't worry. Actually she likes any excuse to bellow at full whack...I'm anticipating a fruitful career for her as a member of a Tuba ensemble.

Thanks for the nostalgia - sadly, being a child of the 60s, I can recall quite a lot of those Slade days. Everything was either silver sparkly or varying shades of orange or brown. Perhaps at the final XC at Springfield I'll run in a Dave Hill wig as a tribute - and end up in the 80s as punishment smile

Cheers

#17 06-01-2009 10:50:30

Graeme
Administrator

I liked the field... I gained a couple of places on it.
To me XC should all be about ankle breaking uneven ground, lung busting hills & neck breaking decents. tongue

#18 06-01-2009 11:19:37

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Hi Grm

Absolutely...why do you think I adore Halstead so much and loathed Abbey Fields to the point of not bothering. However common sense should have prevailed on the field - as my guess was that it was introduced to replicate some of the muddier courses on the circuit (can't think but some will spring to mind). Following the cold freeze it was actually a nightmare - particularly at the end section where it went back onto the path - with the ruts suddenly higher and perpendicular to the direction of the run. Peter C and I were hotly pursuing a chap from Springfield who failed to notice a big rut in the ploughing and went A over T big time into the brambles on the other side of the path. I shouted to ask if he was ok but he was truly in agony as the ground wasn't giving an inch.

Of course this is a risky sport - we all know this when we sign up to run the XCs. But I think the reasons for adding this section of the course had changed and for this reason it should, in my opinion, have been removed - particularly coming off a speedy section down the field. It was un-necessarily dangerous.

It clearly wasn't added to increase the length of the run...5.3 miles all told.

#19 06-01-2009 12:33:06

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

I'm just glad that they didn't keep the change they introduced during the 05/06 season, where they sent us on a slalom up and down the big hill twice on each lap-2 goes on that bu££er are quite enough!! I remember blowing up on the 2nd lap and having to stop and walk blush That year the course measured 6 miles!!

Glad to hear Emily likes any excuse to bellow at full whack big_smile I'm anticipating a fruitful career for her as a member of Gooding's Goddesses once she's old enough wink

#20 06-01-2009 14:18:37

Peter Gooding
Committee member

At the league committee meeting it was stated that it was seven plus miles, hadleigh admitted their mistake. Not that it helped the slower runners who had never run more than 6 miles before that day. I also remember it being a warm day. We were only talking about it on Sunday as we watched in the freezing conditions. I also recall a XC at Hadleigh when it snowed from when we arrived until after the race, happy days :-)

#21 06-01-2009 17:17:33

Sarah Bond

Ahh how quaint, you old timers reminiscing about the good old days!!!

Cheers for the link Gary. Looks nice and flat....which I'm sure will upset Graeme and the hard core XC runners....but will be a pleasure for me!!! wink

Board footer