#26 15-01-2009 12:28:47

Miranda Rayner
Harwich Runner

Re: Training

I liked the session but was frustrated not to be able to complete all of it.
I will certainly fit one of those in next week on my own.
Never mind, it was just nice to be back after so many weeks away.

#27 19-01-2009 14:29:10

Sarah Bond

I really enjoyed Matt's session, made me work harder than normally would....I need that kick up th a**e sometimes. Looking forward to parlauf!!??

#28 28-01-2009 09:31:00

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Excellent session by Peter C last night on the promenade (I think in Edwardian times it was called taking the air). After an extended warm up in the car park (I think Dennis W clearly did well at drama at school, the expressive use of his arms throughout was a joy to behold) we certainly took the air with a tough 'Pyramid' of 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 minutes hard out and back with 90 second recoveries at the end of each set, 60 seconds at end of the 'out' section. Group 1 and 2 lined up at the top of the ambulance slope, Group 3 at the bottom, Peter C somewhere in the distance with a whistle.

Everyone looked to be going really well. Steve C looks to be getting seriously back to form and looked strong. Richard N appears to have not taken the mandatory dip in form that follows winning 'Runner of the Month' and is still flying (come on Richard, be fair). Neil W, Colin M, Ashley and Dennis all looked very comfortable too. Good to see Tim back with us and running well. Group 1 were far too far away for me to make any judgement...but I recall Sam being SOOO off into the distance that he didn't hear the whistle that often!

Only slight problem was an errant dog-owner who decided to walk right across our path on our last 3 minute leg rather than wait 30 seconds for us all to come by...some people really haven't got any common sense. A few pleasantries were exchanged in the process from what I remember. I think Neil managed an excellent hop to avoid making the dog into an interesting left slipper.

Mercifully Peter C decided we wouldn't do a team relay on the night and so we headed back to club house all happiness personified. At least until the next one. Well done everyone.

Last edited by Gary Donoghue (28-01-2009 09:35:51)

#29 28-01-2009 10:13:14

Miranda Rayner
Harwich Runner

Sounds like you all had fun last night, sorry to have missed it but looking forward to joining you all next Tuesday for a good session.
See you then.

#30 04-02-2009 16:49:59

Sarah Bond

Another good session from Steve last night. Suitable for all abilities, provoked thought about style/technique (who knew Mark Doyle was a secret ballerina!), plus a good work out with the finishing relay - my legs are telling me today that I worked hard!

#31 05-02-2009 09:13:23

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Yes. I enjoyed it too Sarah...despite Harbour Crescent being possibly the most exposed area in Harwich to train that night (brrrrrrr). I like Steve's sessions as they make you think about how you run and review things. I'm training tonight and will probably try some of his techniques for altering your centre of gravity a tad...and see if it makes any difference to the efficiency of my running. I heel strike very hard so anything that takes the pressure off a tad I always welcome.

It was good to see Tim Turner continuing to improve after his injury - he looked strong during the 5 lap relay alongside Dennis W and I. Ian Cottee looks to be running really well too...couldn't catch him, nor Jonathon B either!

Nice one Steve. Thanks for the session.

#32 18-02-2009 09:09:24

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Enjoyable session last night from Peter C - 200m pyramid on the seafront with 8, 6, 4 and 2 reps with short recoveries (30 secs between each rep and longer recoveries between the sets). A short but intense routine that I am really feeling today (left shin pains, right foot sore after all that sprinting). Our group stayed together well throughout and maintained negative splits as Peter was hoping (first set 45 secs, last 34). Good to see Tony A staying with us this evening...and Tim T continuing to regain his strength after the injury. Mercifully Peter let us return back to the club house afterwards without a 'warm down' race....is he softening up I wonder wink

What did others think? Would it have been a good idea to have a 'club' session to finish with? A small relay or something?

Last edited by Gary Donoghue (18-02-2009 09:10:01)

#33 18-02-2009 12:51:46

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

While I enjoy the little relays on the end of things like the 15 minute fitness test, I think to have had one last night after all those sprints would have been overegging the cake. Was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually enjoyed last night's session though, which is a rarity for me as the terms "200m sprints" and "enjoyment" don't usually fall out of my cakehole in the same sentence lol

Gary did a sterling job leading group 2 and making sure we kept to our pre-set pace limits, slowing down the next rep if we got a bit carried away on the one before, which meant the session was nowhere near as eyeballs out as I was dreading it to be! It turned out to be a really good speed endurance session...

Not sure if we've got much of a window for requests with Peter C before the next batch of training is posted, but is there any chance of some mile reps in the new schedule, and maybe a revisit to one of those tempo sessions we used to do along the old half marathon course in reverse? Please please pretty please, complete with a cherry on the top?!! smile Is that enough begging and pleading, do you think?! wink

#34 19-02-2009 10:41:23

Miranda Rayner
Harwich Runner

Is it just me, or are there an awful lot of cake references in Betty's post????!!!!

#35 19-02-2009 11:20:46

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Perhaps. It's a cake of kneads must I suppose. Personally I'm always keen to try and slice off more than I can chew when it comes to reducing down sprint times - it's a 'source' of much interest for me . However, despite being really jammy in the middle of training night, it was payback yesterday as my feet felt like sponges - having overcooked things on that last batch. But fortunately I know when I'm beat and so bid a hasty retreat and decided not to train last night to recover... to hopefully up the consistency in the coming days. I'm probably laying it on a bit thick there but I like to rise to a challenge.

x

PS I have emailed Peter C and asked him to consider some mile reps and a tempo session using the old 1/2 marathon course in the next round of training. Peter doesn't tend to read this forum much so I'm led to understand.

Last edited by Gary Donoghue (19-02-2009 11:22:20)

#36 19-02-2009 17:11:21

Sarah Bond

Gary - You 'crack' me up!

I have to admit on wimping out on the main session, after hearing the words 'speed session' and '200m reps'. Speed is not my thing!!

As for G4 Peter can be assured that Kevin held a great session in his absence. Certainly made me work!

#37 25-02-2009 09:05:39

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Ok. So what was the consensus on last nights training by Dennis? Having invented a new genre of run - the so-called 'Enduro hill' session (sounds like something Bob Dylan might have done in preparation for Woodstock) - Mr. W managed to give me a stitch what with all the running out then the 12 reps up (6 hills, 2 sets, 30-60 secs recovery between sets) various hills in Dovercourt and then the return back to the clubhouse. I am feeling it today but am glad we did it - one of the hardest sessions of the winter without a doubt. Becky and I estimated a total distance run of around 6-7 miles - combined with that intensity a really hard night.

Group 2 worked really well together and I thought Ian and Becky looked consistently good at the front for each leg. Steve Burbridge also looked increasingly comfortable and was going well - it was good to see him back. Tim T's recovery continues nicely and I'm glad we persuaded Tony A to join up - he more than held his own. Towards the latter stages Group 1 joined us...well briefly before disappearing off up the slopes.

Certainly a long session - so it was reassuring to arrive back at the club house and not find it shut!

#38 25-02-2009 19:00:29

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

I don't think your achilles would have been impressed with yesterday's session, Neil-wise decision to sit it out. Am currently having to work round a mild flare up of piriformis syndrome myself, so regrettably had to miss off the final 2 hills of the night-2 sprints up the ambulance slope (I was gutted, no really I was wink). It seemed to head off potential trouble at the pass though, as my hamstring and back have been ok again today smile

Excellent session, though-nice one Dennis smile Actually enjoyed those longer hill reps, like Hall Lane, as it seemed to replicate race pace rather than just demand a short sharp sprint. And some very good teamwork going on in group 2, with Gary and Ian pushing me hard on the long reps, and Steve B going like the brown stuff off a shovel on the shorter ones! Nice to have a decent sized group again smile

Is it true that we missed Di's pancakes back at the clubhouse, though?? sad

Last edited by Becky McCorquodale (25-02-2009 19:01:58)

#39 25-02-2009 19:03:22

Graeme
Administrator

who won the chairman v secretary?

#40 25-02-2009 19:13:13

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Don't know about that one, but Jason won the "Windy Miller" award for loudest fart of the night
*note to self-don't yank his leg up quite so high during the stretching*

lol

#41 26-02-2009 14:13:35

Tim Turner

I agree Tuesdays training was an excellent session, many thanks to Dennis ! for me it was a hard session however the words of encouragement from other members of group 2 in perticular Gary make a big difference, I felt very motivated and did my best 5 mile run time today for a long time. Changing the subject and i may of missed this but do we have an up to date ' Committee members contact details ' ?

#42 26-02-2009 16:43:29

Steve Cooper
Committee member

Cracking session on Tuesday - cheers Dennis, more of the same, please! Good variety of hill gradient and length and I'm pretty sure that group 1 emerged all the better for the effort (very impressed with Richard's and Sam's exertions, less so with Jason's emissions....). As a self-confessed hill-addict, it is great to get a different take on the theme and I shall certainly look to incorporate elements into my own sessions.

#43 26-02-2009 16:57:20

Graeme
Administrator

Tim Turner wrote:

do we have an up to date ' Committee members contact details ' ?

I don't think we do, the details & descriptions on the about us page are certainly out of date.

If you look at the forum users list you can see who is on the comittee & if your logged in you can contact them.
Hope that helps

#44 27-02-2009 13:36:54

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Hiya

I think Diane hands out an updated contact sheet with your renewed membership - but I will ask her to have an electronic copy sent to all members via the distribution list in case this has been mis-placed. I'll also find out the latest details for Graeme so we can have the 'About Us' page accurately reflecting the current committee.

Cheers

Gary

#45 04-03-2009 09:55:22

Graeme
Administrator

Where was clarke's parachute when you need it? It was certainly an evening for a paracute relay along the seafront!

#46 05-03-2009 14:39:14

Elspeth Knott
Harwich Runner

I agree. Don't think we've seen it on the seafront, since we almost took off and landed in Holland.

#47 10-03-2009 23:07:38

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Another excellent session tonight! Bit of a shame that that's the last fitness test until the autumn, though sad I like doing those!
That 20 x 100m progressive sprint session was very hard work afterwards, though (or was it just me being a big fairy??)

#48 11-03-2009 09:06:49

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Yes Becks - and No Becks, you are not being a fairy: it was indeed a toughie. That said, I was relieved to enjoy it last night too - and no major problems with the left shin splints this morning (had to ice pack it for an hour last night though when I got home...hence late night Fetchie bloggin' smile) It was certainly a stunning night to be out...has the North Sea looked more serene with the full moon shining upon it. Also an incredible turn out with barely standing room at the clubhouse. Perhaps they were all checking out Jonathan's latest contribution to running fashion with his Dexy's Midnight Runners 'grunge period' look.

But I digress. Some strong runs last night within Group 2...you, Nigel and Peter C looking very adept at the front of the pack...but a nice tussle developing in the middle order as well with Colin and Stevie B and I being joined by Tim T (who is definitely improving week on week) and Kate H...who stormed past me last night. It'll be great to have them involved regularly from now on. In the end I finished about 150m behind the group but still way up on my previous best so I'm heading in the right direction.

Glad I stayed clear of the sprints...but shouldn't really have come into them with only 6 to go as I felt the hamstring from the off. Clearly those early warm up ones (the 8) are important. So my rule from now on will be 'do them all, or none'

Cheers

#49 11-03-2009 09:57:44

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Those early warm up ones were the only ones I liked (the ones before Peter started saying things like "sub 18" tongue)!

Have you ever thought about going for a paddle in the sea after training sessions on the front? (and no, I'm not still babbling with oxygen debt!). I reckon that might help ice your shin for you....although yes, it would give the local herberts something else to snigger about sad

#50 11-03-2009 10:50:37

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

smile) Interesting idea that...though I'd personally be worried that I might bump into Dennis W doing a late night sea swim. 'Oh hello Gary, what are you doing here?' 'Nothing much, just icing my shin'. 'Er. Yeh. Right'...

Board footer