#1 15-11-2008 16:38:21

Anthony Anderson
Harwich Runner

Training

I thought that last Tuesdays session was good although I did think that for some of the participants It may have been a bit too intense and too long to give a good account of themselves.  Well done to Jonathan for the training. More of the same please. smile

#2 15-11-2008 18:02:05

Peter Gooding
Committee member

Re: Training

It is good to read Tony’s comments as I have had messages from members saying that the training over the last few weeks has started to slip back to the “old ways" , and that it appears to be geared towards the group one members. All comments have been positive in as much as saying that the training has been well thought out. I get the feeling that members want to go back to the three groups, for example. If the training is 5 times up this hill or 5 of these reps, it should be stated that that is for group one. Group two do 4 times and Group 3 does 3. Also the recovery for group one could be shorter than for groups two and three. It may seem like stating the obvious to those who have some years of experience, but the newer members need to be told what to do. I have also heard from those who question if it is a good idea to have such a big group all training together and has it contributed to the accidents we have had lately. I would like to hear member’s views as I don’t train with groups 3, 2 and 1 to see how things work. I would again emphasis that everyone who has contact me feels there is nothing wrong with the training sessions, just the way we go about them. I intend to bring this up with the committee on Wednesday.

Last edited by Peter Gooding (15-11-2008 18:02:44)

#3 17-11-2008 09:17:25

Graeme
Administrator

I'm just looking forward to getting back to training with the club... maybe one day this house will sell!

#4 19-11-2008 13:22:58

Claire Bransby
Harwich Runner

I really enjoyed Jonathan's training session although it was hard, but you can still apply your own effort depending how fit you are.

Thouroughly enjoyed Kev's training last night too.  Thanks cool

#5 19-11-2008 21:34:11

Anna Anderson
Harwich Runner

Hi really enjoyed Kevin's training last night so thanks very much.  See you all at the Hadleigh!!

#6 21-11-2008 17:03:15

Sarah Bond

Unfortunately I missed Jonathans session so cannot comment but would like to say how good I thought Kevins training was this week. It was a good session for all abilities as everyone works their hardest. I definitely felt it when I ran again on Thursday. Thought the active warm up and warm down was excellent. Well done Kev!

#7 26-11-2008 08:59:27

Peter Gooding
Committee member

I have had some feedback about explaining the training before we leave the 1912 and so far every one thinks it was good and well explained by Peter C. Any other comments would be welcome and helpful.
Also if you have any views about what I said last night about the way we do the training in the future, they would also be welcome, either posted here or emailed to me, thanks.
I think every now and again we need to review how we do things and look at if we can improve any areas.

We are short of runners for Sunday's XC, if any one else would like to be added to the list please let me know.
Also we have a few places left for the presentation evening/Xmas dinner if any one would like to come again let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by Peter Gooding (26-11-2008 09:00:46)

#8 26-11-2008 13:20:25

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Just wanted to add my own positive comments about the new, more structured, approach to outlining the session before we all head out the door - as the club has grown so has the need to accomodate all abilities and fitness levels...so a clear indication of what is in store is a very good thing as well as the all important encouragement that also seems to suffix every training evening before we depart.

Tonight's session (15 minute fitness test followed by 6 reps of high intensity runs increasing the pace each time in 3 groups with 15 second intervals) was very enjoyable - albeit exhausting by the end. But that's why I come...I can run my overdistance sessions during the week. Club night is when I need to be pushed, cajoled and competitive. That we can achieve this while all running together as a club is great - so I'd congratulate Peter on this new session. These days I tend to avoid out-and-out sprints at the end of the session so this provided a happy compromise.

Well Done. See you Sunday!

#9 02-12-2008 23:04:35

Anna Anderson
Harwich Runner

Really enjoyed (must be mad) Parluf this evening. Session really worked us all hard and made me focus on pact and stamina.  It would have been nice to have had a better strech session before and after like Peters and Kevins previously.  In all a very very good session.

#10 09-12-2008 23:20:46

Anna Anderson
Harwich Runner

Really enjoyed tonights training although the niggle in my calf caused me to head back to base early.  Peter can we do a few more stretches with the active warm up too.

#11 09-12-2008 23:59:25

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Really enjoyed tonight's session as well:) I like these classic sessions like kilometre reps/mile reps/fitness tests over the same courses as they can give you figures to compare to see how your fitness is progressing (or not!). I think it's working really well, mixing this sort of stuff in with the sessions from the newer coaches such as Dennis, Matt, Jonathon and Steve.

Sorry to hear about the calf, Anna-hope it gets better for Sunday!

#12 10-12-2008 09:22:45

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Last night was tough (and cold - last time I forget to wash my running tights this winter and end up having to run in shorts! - I think my legs are still lobster pink and buzzing like an old fridge) and I'm definitely feeling it today. Great session though as it's been a while since I've done flat-out 1K reps - particularly 7 reps too. But I was pleased to stay with Group 2 throughout tonight...occasionally even beating Marc up the hill at the start before running out of steam. Most pleasing for me was the last rep where I managed to stay with Peter C and come through at the end with a 3:54 - I've not been able to say with Peter for a while now. A good base for my marathon training (hurraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!)

You looked incredibly strong last night Becky - very impressive split times - and consistent too. Best of luck for a good race on Sunday. Anna - best wishes for a swift recovery - hope to see you Sunday.

PS Not sure about the finish warm-down though - couldn't really see the point of that. Would have preferred some sort of relay after such a long session but I guess Peter C was merely trying something new. My view: a better session during daylight hours.

#13 10-12-2008 19:53:54

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Aw-cheers, Gary! Still think you'll edge me on Sunday though, as I just can't hold that sort of form on the squishy stuff sad Better get those long tights in the wash-it looks like it's going to be cold (and we can't have you pink and buzzing tongue). My only complaint about the warm down was the fact that my legs were stuffed from the reps, and I think I was letting my team down with my plodding!!

Now for the big question-just what on earth has happened to group 1??? Was it the Burls curse?! Poor old Jason was looking like Billy No Mates bombing round on his tod sad

#14 10-12-2008 20:12:34

Peter Gooding
Committee member

Jason was looking more like Billy Wizz than Billy no mates, he was flying. Just goes to show his strength of character, to work that hard on his own. Amazing, he just did not let up and stuck 100% to the training programme.

Last edited by Peter Gooding (10-12-2008 22:04:15)

#15 10-12-2008 21:27:47

Peter Clarke
Harwich Runner

Your wrong I have signed-up! Jason did look impressive last night as did Becky who was flying and ahead of me on every rep! The legs are great Becky, you know I am still not a fan of the arm action! Looking through the other groups Ann Piercy and Anna Anderson looked to be right on top of their running, but did not get to see everybody. What has happened to group 1? Felt privilaged to be part of group 2 competitve but encouraging, thanks for doing the timing Gary. Thank you so much to Roly and Elspeth for looking after group 3. There is a great range of ability in this group and I know some people found it pretty tough out there, thank you for sticking with things and we'll try in future to break  group 3 down into smaller equal ability sections. I felt the circuit was okay, bit dark but not unsafe and the reps/ recoveries were spot on. The warm-up needs fine tuning, but the priniciple of gradually raising the speed of a warm-up is a good one. The relay at the end was to try something different. It proved a tough one after the reps and I think would work on warm and bright summers evening. As regard to static stretching I am not a fan in freezing cold conditions, what are the benfits from stretching in the cold? In my view we are aiming to raise the core temperature of the body and release synovial fluid to lubricate the joints before running fast, All that is achieved by activety and lost by standing still. I am however a massive fan of stretching in warm and suitable conditions to improve mobility and flexibilty and attend a 90 minute yoga class each week for this very reason. A short calf, hamstring and thigh stretch could be added in future and can be worked between a stretch and some activety.

#16 10-12-2008 22:34:30

Peter Gooding
Committee member

Hello Peter, good to see you have signed up. Looks like last nights training went down well, lots of positive comments. I think this forum is good to read the all feedback.
You have been in the club longer than me and if you think back to what the Tuesday training used to be and how it has changed and the results that has brought about.
I had the "advantage" of standing close to the end of the reps and saw everyone. It never ceases to amaze me much everyone gives to the training and how hard they work. Also how members work together to help and encourage each other to keep going.  I always wonder how good would our score be if we could just get everyone fit and out for one XC race, (or any race come to that). Maybe one day....

#17 11-12-2008 09:11:56

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

It's great that Peter (C) has signed up - nice to have you with us coach! As for the present situation with Group 1 (that esteemed group who are normally so far away that they resemble subbuteo figures at about an inch tall) it's unfortunate but Steve C is currently down with a bad form of 'real' flu as well as his recurrent injury, Graham is suffering from a lack of a Tardis to make it up from Kent most Tuesdays, Paul was out injured from the ups and downs of Halstead and Mark was treading quietly back into the fray by showing most of us the way in Group 2 :-) I think Matt wanted to take it relatively easy after 12 miles the previous day (agh!). Not sure where Sam is/was but after his amazing year he probably deserves a night off every now and then.

So...hopefully Jason won't be alone for too long up there in the distance. There's a certain book by Alan Sillitoe (aptly named as it happens) that I could point him at if he gets fed up there on this own x x.

#18 11-12-2008 12:42:31

Mark Rutter
Harwich Runner

Thought Tuesday was an excellent session too, and enjoyed running in a different group for a change. Quite like that circuit with the little Mayflower hill thrown in just to make it a bit more challenging. And thanks to Elspeth’s stockings, the calf held up well. Seems to be a lot of calf injuries about at the moment - Anna, Steve C, myself, and even with stockings Jonathan still succumbed.

Agree with Becky that these mile/K reps and fitness tests are great for assessing your progress/setting targets. Also like the ‘old half marathon in reverse course’ session (Vines, Clarks Road, Long Meadows) where members of the group take turns to set the pace. Haven’t done this for while have we?

Jase is out on his own at the moment, but once Steve and Paul get back, and with Sam, Matt and Marc D running so well, we should have a really good regular group.

#19 12-12-2008 12:59:33

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Elspeth's stockings??? yikes

Nope, I'm not even going to go there.....

#20 13-12-2008 20:46:38

Anna Anderson
Harwich Runner

All - thanks for the well wishing and as much as I would love to say - "the pain the pain can't run on Sunday" I can't, did a 7 miler this morning and feeling good, have already packed my bag with extra shoes, tuby grip, deep heat etc etc as I am really looking forward to tomorrow. Maybe I have some secret fascination with mud wrestling as it looks like it will be very muddy. Yipeeeeeeee. 

Derek is bringing his camera tomorrow so will be taking lots of choice shots at his marshalling spot - so watch out!!!!. 

See you all tomorrow smile

#21 23-12-2008 22:20:24

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Well done Jon on another brilliant session! Nice to see something tailored specifically for xc smile I think we struggled on the warm down with strides, as we couldn't hear the whistle after we got to the stone pier, but the main session was excellent.

Thank you to group 1 for dragging me round tonight-it's always been an ambition of mine to be fast enough to join you all, but during tonight's session I was thinking bugger this for a game of marbles!! More work needed on my part to be able to keep with you all, but I'm sure tonight did me good! Oh, and thank you to Steve for turning out in the drizzle to watch our efforts and give us some constructive feedback on our running form-some very useful advice tonight that I'll be working on in future sessions/races...much appreciated smile

#22 07-01-2009 13:20:07

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Can I just say that tagging 6 x 400m on the end of the fitness test last night was completely EVIL!!! mad

If it hasn't improved my sprint finish in my next race, I will be burning my trainers and taking up full time spectating....

#23 07-01-2009 16:17:24

Graeme
Administrator

You've been watching East Enders Becky... 'evil' is their fav word at the moment, usually followed by 'girl'

devil

#24 07-01-2009 17:35:26

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

I'll take your word for that, Graeme-I haven't seen Eastenders in years (but you obviously have wink) lol

Like the new devil btw...

#25 14-01-2009 11:43:10

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Nice to be back at the club last night - I really enjoyed the session. Ok...perhaps 'enjoy' isn't quite the word to use. But it was great to see some older faces like Stuart W and Mark D reappearing and looking well and strong as well as the 1912 almost full to brimming.

Matthew is to be congratulated on another great session - on the face of it 4x2 sets of hills between 300-450m distance doesn't sound too onerous on paper (whatever that is) but when you're piling up the hill for the 2nd time trying to keep up with the likes of Peter C, Becky, Stuart W et al then you start to wonder at the wisdom of it all. My problem at the moment is consistency in that I cannot sustain the required level of effort for more than 1/2 reps. Given we had no recovery time after the jog back to the start...even between sets...there was nowhere to hide that simple fact. I guess the marathon training will help that...plus a few of Matthew's infamous hill sessions on Saturday mornings. We shall see.

That said it was good to see the various groups keeping their shape throughout - and before too long we were heading back to a nice warm 1912 for Jo's do.

Stay well until Sunday for Ipswich. We are looking to be below strength on the men's side (Graeme's away, Paul M and Steve C are injured, Sam isn't well) so we need a good turnout to ensure we maintain our position in Pool A. Still...it should be interesting running a new course. For my part I hope it's really, REALLY, muddy ;-)

Board footer